20 Things I've Learnt In 20 Years

20 years is a long time... well it is until you're at the 20 mark; then it's a short time especially when you've only been alive for 20 years. I think I have infantile amnesia, for those of you who don't know what that is, it's where as an adult you can't remember things from your childhood, it's like your brain blocks it out like it never happened. On average, an adult can remember from 4 years old onwards but I can't remember actual memories before I was 10... as such but it depends on the adult because everyone is different right? 

Now I can't say I can't remember anything before I was 10 at all because I do remember the Tweenies, Tots TV, Spyro, Rainbow and The Wombles... yep I remember all these things but I can't remember actually being a child some memories may fade into my brain but I feel like I've just made them up ... like it never actually happened... I know crazy?!? haha !! but anyway I'm here today to tell you 20 things I learnt before I turned 20. 

1. Life doesn't get easier 
Life doesn't get any easier at all !! I used to think that when I'm older it will be way better because 
'I can do what I want when I want & don't have to answer to anybody' 
... well even when you are older you still have people to answer too... and some of these people aren't very nice ... especially if you owe them £££ ... so yeah ... it doesn't get easier, in fact, it gets harder and things just don't go as planned.

2. College/Uni might not have been worth it
One I have learnt very recently. Sometimes the education you pursued isn't actually what you want to do when you finish it. This is normal... most people do it (but not all) this can sometimes make you feel like you have wasted a lot of your time but really when you made that decision it was something you truly wanted which means it wasn't a waste of time it's just your focus changed whilst you were on the course and now you think differently.

3. You make bad decisions & have to pay for them
Adults still make mistakes... yep even with all the training we get as children and all the discipline in the world doesn't stop us making mistakes when we are adults. When you are around the latter teen years (this can apply at any age) you tend to be paying for your decisions you made when you were 16 ... going back to the previous point when you are 16 (UK) you leave school and have to decide what you want to do for the rest of your life (I know ... terrible) most of the time you make the wrong decision but 19/20-year-old you is still paying for that decision you made. So yep ... you still make bad decisions and you will pay for them. 

4. Stop comparing yourself to other people
Comparing yourself to other people gets you nowhere. This can be any form of comparison, such as body shape, facial features, complexity, finance, clothing, talent, intelligence even just lifestyle. The more you compare yourself to others the worse you make yourself feel because you're craving for what others have. It's okay to have inspirations and goals but only when they motivate you to do something if all as they do is make you feel bad then the comparing should stop.

5. It's okay to try new things
New things... whether you are male or female you can do whatever you want to do!! If your female and you want to do mechanics, then do mechanics!!! If you're male and you want to be a beautician or hairdresser, then be a beautician or hairdresser !!! Don't think that one thing is for one gender and the other things are for the other... that is so 1800's ... it's 2016 now and it's okay to try new things even if you don't look like you 'fit in' with that crowd.

6. Peer pressure doesn't just fade away
Peer Pressure never goes away, you still feel pressured to do things even when you are 20's. You feel pressured in all sort of areas because of things your friends are doing or things your friends have. I learnt that this will be a constant battle except the 'things' they have or are doing will change.

7. You won't have as many friends or any in some cases
A bit of a touchy subject for me. Most of your friends will fall away and you will never speak to those people again. This is life and it always happens at least once in anyone's lifetime. I remember in the old street I used to live in there was a girl who lived about 5 doors away from me and we loved to play together every evening before it fell dark, but then after a year or two she moved house and I never saw her again. I only have one picture of us together and that was on one of those disposable cameras which I have grown to love. 
Again with other people who have been in my life I have lost connection with 90% of them... not sure why people just seem to leave... but I guess that's just life.

8. You won't have everything figured out
I used to think that when I was 20 everything would be figured out, I wouldn't have no worries, I'd be earning money and possibly looking for my own place. I couldn't be any further from the truth ... there is no way that is happening when I am 20 ... I do not have everything figured out, the things I don't have figured out become worries, I am not earning any money apart from my university tuition and I cannot afford my own place at all !! so yes you won't have everything figured out.

9. You will have to work twice as hard as you thought for everything you want but it is possible
If you want something you have to work for it. I've always known this but I never realised how much you would have to work. You have to work twice as hard for everything that you want but with perseverance, it can and will happen.

10. Cutting negative people out of your life is hard but it is so worth it
Cutting negative/toxic people out of your life is hard. I did some research on 'narcissists' and realised that I would be a whole lot happier without these people in my life. Trust me... It's a difficult decision to make it really is, but I haven't regretted it and this is my second year without those people.

11. Time goes faster when you're older 
It's just the way it is ... 5 hours to a teenager is 5 minutes to an adult.. don't know why but it just is ... until it comes to getting ready or sleeping then "5 minutes" is just a nice way of saying "...Leave me alone"

12. Sometimes you just have to wing it 
Sometimes something gets dropped on you or you totally forget about something and you have no time to do or fix it so you just have to go with it. Prime example, I did a presentation on a particular subject and then when I went to present it my layout had completely messed up ... yeah, I had to wing it because there was nothing I could do about it. 

13. You can control the way you feel by wiring your brain properly
If you introduce the proper wiring to your brain then you can have a whole new concept of who you are. When you are confident and comfortable enough with who you are and you can project an image that you truly believe in then other things will just fall into place.

14. Acting like your not bothered really doesn't work
When I was younger I used to think that slouching back in a chair with my arms folded... not smiling and glaring at different people would make them intimidated and therefore, they would take me seriously and not treat me like a child ... acting like this used to make them treat me like a child even more. If you want people to take you seriously you have to do the opposite to this (age dependant)

15. Be fierce .. don't let people take advantage of you
I love that word... fierce ... don't let people walk all over you because they will just do it over and over again to take advantage of you. The word fierce means a lot to me as I don't mean to be bossy or to be *girl dog* but just to have that confidence in yourself that allows you to have that fierceness about you that means people won't take advantage of you as much... some people will still try, though.

16. Spots don't just disappear
Again ... "as soon as I turn 20 I won't have any spots because only teenagers have spots" nope you will still get spots when your 20. Especially if you are a chocolate enthusiast like myself :P 

17. You're Always Learning
Even when you leave school, college or university you're still learning every day. I can imagine in 2073 when I will be 77 years old (If I'm still here) someone telling me about their new apple driven hoverboard or hover car & me not understanding what they are on about because I'm not down with the lingo anymore hehe.


18. Sleep is Important
Sleep is soo important, I used to think 
"when I'm older and can 'Go to bed when I want' I'm going to stay up all night, every night on my laptop and I'm going to be perfectly healthy"
... I know only in an alternate universe. Sleep is so important... I used to not want to go to bed and be up at the crack of dawn when I was younger but come around 17 ... I go to bed before everyone else in the house and I get up after everyone else too ... I don't even know how I used to get up for school ?!? 6.30Am is just ... not seen by me anymore. 

19. Your Eyeliner will still go wrong
Magical eyeliner fairy doesn't exist... she doesn't come flying through the window and tell you how to get perfect eyeliner all the time like all the other women who are above 20 ... but sadly she doesn't exist or she just missed me.

20. Don't be afraid to still have Fun
Having the correct balance between work and recreation is key to doing this. Still, don't be scared to enjoy yourself and have a little fun because your scared of what others might think of you or you think people aren't going to take me seriously because I'm an adult now and need to be boring !! Nahhh ... still jump on those fairground rides, eat candy floss and ice cream from the ice cream van ... do it !! because you're never too young to have a bit of fun and enjoy yourself :) 

& that's it !! I have learnt a lot more like I know my times tables and things like that but this is just life things I have learnt up until I was 20 :) 

Comments