Nicki Minaj Onika Perfume Review

It's been about 2 years since this perfume was released but I wore it the other day and I remembered how much I love it. I then realised that I had never done a blog post about this perfume so here it is!!


Onika was first seen in Nicki Minaj's Pills N Potions video at 2.47 you can see the perfume bottle. This was product placement but it was also the first time anyone had ever seen it. In the video it has a purple liquid and I honestly thought it was going to be purple when I saw the video and I was so excited because it's very rare that you get a purple perfume, but then other pictures got released and it turned out it was actually a clear liquid.

Onika is Nicki Minaj's 3rd pillar perfume but her 6th scent overall. This box is very toned; there is hardly any colour like on her others (excluding Minajesty Exotic)  and goes with the toned down look that Nicki has now. The front of the box is exactly the same on the back, no picture of Nicki on this box like there was on the Main Minajesty and the Pink Friday's. It is striped with a gold and black effect sort of like the Minajesty Exotic but a bit more exciting and more artistic. The name of the perfume is located in an 'O' shape. These are striped also but with black and white tones instead of the gold; this makes the name stand out. At the bottom there is a nice black banner that has 'Nicki Minaj' and then the details about the perfume. The top of the box is just black and white (not striped) and has the 'Onika' logo. When I first had this I loved the different approach to the perfume as the box design is completely different to anything she has ever done. 


Once opened you can see the perfume doll which matches the box with the black and clear effect. Again, the pink lips, this is definitely a signature with all of Nicki's perfumes as they all have pink lips.  The bottle has the clear glass again like her main Minajesty not the frosted glass like Minajesty Exotic. She is dressed in a black corset decorated with gold studs which matches the box; however, this corset has more design put into it as she has a bra-like top and then the three stripes going down the main centre piece; again this matches the stripes on the box. Like Minajesty Exotic the corset does not carry on round the back of the bottle, it is on the front only, the back is just clear glass. 

Her hair is similar to the hair on her deluxe edition of Pink Friday except it's a lot shorter. Her perfumes appearance have changed over time along with her own appearance and that is something she should be proud of because it proves to me that Nicki has had an input in her perfumes. It's not like a company has created it all and Nicki's just put her name on it to sell it. Nope! A company has had to make the perfume bottle and scents because it would be impossible for Nicki to do that but she's actually designed the bottle herself and wore the fragrances to see whether she likes them and then once she's happy with it and she would wear it; she releases it to the world and that is what I like about her because she doesn't just do it with perfume, she puts her heart into everything that she does. 

Pears are definitely the main fruit I can smell; it is a fruity sweet scent. When she announced it on Twitter after the video was released someone said What does it smell like? and Nicki said "It smells like Angels in the garden of ... Perfection” Didn't really give much away of the actual fragrance. The top notes of this scent are pear (definitely) Mandarin and star fruit; very fruity and sweet. The middle notes are orchid and water lily, then the dry down is cedarwood, white musk and sugar cane; the dry down is very similar to her previous perfumes. It does have a satisfying staying power although I have had stronger ones, it's not too overpowering but still smells gorgeous. The Pear is what you can smell the most; as soon as you open the bottle and have that first spray you can smell the pear. The floral part sort of balances the fruity part so it's not too overpowering, some people have said that previous perfumes have made them have a headache but I honestly think that won't be the case with this one as it is very light; it's not too potent or overpowering and is a really nice Autumn scent. With the dry down it reminds me of a nice warm fire. You know when it's snowing outside and you're by the fire with a hot water bottle and a hot chocolate drink... that's what the dry down reminds me of, just really warm and cosy. I can mainly smell the sugar cane on my skin which makes a nice sweet ending to the scent, obviously, this could be different for others as everyone's skin differs. 

In my opinion, I love all of Nicki's perfumes my favourite is Pink Friday (the first one). They all have different unique smells and you can tell one from another. When Minajesty first came out it was a completely different smell to Pink Friday and you could tell. With Onika it is the same, it is a completely different smell to Pink Friday and Minajesty but they all smell yummy :P I feel that Onika is a lot sweeter than her others but it's not overly sweet. I do feel that this one won't have a nice dominance that I like in a perfume, though. When I buy a perfume I like a nice sweet smell but I also like a bit of a kick too. To explain this as best as I can I usually use Paco Rabanne Lady Million. This smells gorgeous and you can tell it's a woman's perfume but it has that nice dominance to it that says "I'm a business woman; I'm successful" I love seeing what perfumes people buy as I think you can tell a lot about a person by what scent they choose to wear. However back to Onika again I don't think it's a dominant smell but it does smell fruity and sweet. To me, Onika says "I'm fun, cheeky and sweet to be with.

If you buy the 50ml or above of the Onika perfume then you get a free tote bag. This is a black smooth leather bag with the gold studs around the sides which are similar to Nicki's other merchandise. This also includes a little tag to show you brought it with a Nicki perfume and also two gold chain handles which thread through two little gold holes to the inside of the bag. The stitching on the bag is a nice hot pink so the stitches do stand out but this is part of the bag design.The back of the bag has a leather pattern sort of what a sofa would have. This is different to the front as it is no longer that smooth leather. Also, the studs aren't located on the back. This is probably so you can see which side is the front and which side is the back. On the front chain handle on the bag, there is a little medallion coin that has Nicki's signature name on it. I think this looks really nice. The inside of the bag has a nice baby pink lining. There are no inside pockets which are similar to her previous tote bags. It is fastened by a press stud; these are the only things that worry me as there are no inside pockets or separators so your stuff is going to go everywhere as you walk :/ and also it's only a press stud fastening so anyone can reach in and grab what they want without you knowing. That may be me just over thinking things but they are the only two things that worry me :P but it is a nice bag. :) 


I know this perfume has been released a long time but I wore it the other day and it brought back to me how much I love it and how nice it smells, so I decided to share it with the world. :) 
Have you ever had this perfume or smelt it? If you have then let me know what you think in the comments below!!



Comments