Macbook 12-inch ~ Rose Gold + USB-C to USB Adapter

As you know recently I graduated from University. Whilst you are there you are given a student discount in many stores (that can help you with your education of course ... you know MAC Cosmetics wasn't on the list... not that I looked or anything *side eye*) my student discount runs out in September so this August I decided to buy a few things that I have been needing for a while. The second of my purchases was the new Macbook in Rose Gold. I did have a Macbook Pro which I've had since 2010 or 2011 one of them, and it's been a very good laptop and it was only last summer that the first part broke (trust it to be storage to go) so I had a 500GB took out and 1TB put in. Since then it's been working fine but once one part goes it's not long before others start breaking, plus it was running so slow which doesn't help when you have videos to edit so I decided to buy a new one with my student discount.


I bought the Macbook in Rose gold so it matches all my other Apple products (plus it's just the best colour so far) 

What's in the Box?
In the box, you are first shown with the Macbook itself. Once this has been lifted you have a booklet with information, a plug, a 29w USB-C plug adapter and a USB-C to USB-C charging cable. This is all that comes in the box but it is everything you need for the laptop. I was surprised there were no headphones with the Macbook like there are with the phones. I was also surprised the Macbook didn't come with a USB to USB-C adapter but I'll talk more about this later.


The top of the laptop is completely plain with just the mirrored Apple like any other mac (apart from the Pro). The laptop is only 13.1mm thin which is a massive difference compared to the Macbook Pro. It's 0.9kg in weight and is much better for anyone who travels with a laptop. I found this to be a massive help with me as I travel with my laptop a lot. The laptop itself only has 2 ports which took me by surprise when I very first looked into getting one. On the right of the laptop is the headphone jack and on the left of the laptop is the USB-C port (I'll talk more about this later on in the post) and that's it. It shocked me very much when I saw there were no SD slots or USB ports but I thought I would give it a go.

Mac Tech Specs
There are the same apps on this MacBook as the others so there is no need to download anything, iTunes, iMovie, Calendar and all the other things are already installed on the mac; which is great as it means you don't have to go online and download them. I did have to redownload anything that wasn't Apple though which was a bit of a pain.

The keyboard is a massive difference as it is much thinner and smoother to use. They don't seem to be as thick or clunky as the Macbook Pro. It feels a lot more comfortable to use and writing blog posts is now so much easier :) can't complain about this. Another thing about the keyboard is the 'on' button has moved; on my old mac the power button was in the top right corner but now it is an actual button on the keyboard, the new power button is where my eject button used to be on my old mac. 

The trackpad also uses force touch just like the iPhone 6S. The trackpad can sense how much pressure you're applying so it can figure out what action you want to take. For example, if I wanted to view a picture but I only wanted to view it quickly I could apply a little pressure to the trackpad and it will do a quick view of the picture. However, if I actually wanted to view the picture I would fully click and the mac would know that I actually wanted to view the picture not just quick view it. It's very clever technology and I really like the idea of it, now when I want to see what the word document named "djbslfjbwabd.doc" is I can quick view instead of waiting for it all to load up. Thank you Apple for feeding my laziness :) 

I was very happy about this additional thing. The processor and operating system take so little energy now from the mac that it no longer needs a fan to cool the laptop down. I used to hate when my laptop would begin to 'take off like a helicopter' in my room when I was in the middle of filming but now that won't happen as the laptop doesn't have a fan, which makes it the quietest piece of machinery I have ever known. I did worry at first that perhaps (without a fan) the laptop would get too hot that I couldn't have it on my lap but I have had no overheating problems.
USB-C to USB Adapter

One of the newest things on the MacBook is the USB-C port. This replaces the charging port and the USB port. This was the biggest change for the laptop and I did think twice before buying because of this; I was used to the Macbook Pro which has all the ports. The thing that put me off wasn't the fact I didn't have hardly any ports; the problem I had was if I wanted to charge my laptop and connect a USB I wouldn't be able to as they use the same port. That put me off a little but then I thought I can just store things on my laptop whilst I charge. Another thing that put me off is there is no SD card reader on this mac like there is on the MacBook pro, this isn't a big thing but being a YouTuber an SD card slot is necessary and it does add another step to exporting any videos that I now make. 

If you want to add any USB device to the new MacBook then you need this little wire from Apple; it is a USB-C to USB converter. One side is the USB-C which connects to the laptop and the other is the USB where you plug in your devices. This stands for anything, external hard drive, your iPad, iPhone, iPod, Memory Stick or camera, just anything that connects to your computer via USB will need this adapter to connect to the new mac. This is a hindrance but for only £15 it's not too bad. 


Let me know what you think of the new USB-C connector? Do you think they are just a phase or do you think they will be everywhere soon enough? Let me know in the comments below. 




Comments