My Top 5 Albums of 2016

2016 is now over and it's been a really emotional (roller coaster) year. There were a lot of good things that happened but also a lot of bad things that happened as well. Musically, it was a great year and there were a lot of great albums made and published but I've narrowed them down to my top 5!

When it comes to music, I have a pretty weird taste! I like Beyonce, Drake and Nicki but I also like Coldplay and Elvis Presley! I know ... madness... and total opposites.. and pretty weird!!

Even though I have a wide range of music likableness? I still have my favourites of course! Music is something that is very close to my heart, it's a way people express their emotions and views on the world to you without having to meet you personally and get to know you first. It also helps me get through certain situations or periods of time. Nicki Minaj has always helped me through a lot of hard times, times where I've needed help but I've had no one to turn to, but she was always there, through her music. That's one of the reasons I will always rep her and she will always be my favourite. Nicki hasn't had an album this year though so she won't be here but I decided to share some of my favourite albums of 2016!


5. Lady Gaga - Joanne



Right. I don't want anyone to come at me when I say this but Artpop was soo much better. This album doesn't even come close to Artpop, this album can't even touch Artpop! No... This album can't even look!... at Artpop! Gaga has grown with her music, she's expressing herself in a different way and I appreciate that because she's shown she's not just this pop princess! If you know what I mean so this album is ok and I appreciate this album as part of Gaga's growth.

I also like how real this album is. She's never really spoken about things like this (life-wise) before, she's had the odd song like Brown Eyes, Dope, You and I? but she's never really had a personal album where she speaks about her life throughout the album, which is something I like about this album as it's named after her as a person (middle name) and most of the songs are personal to her.

Favourite Songs:
Perfect Illusion
Million Reasons 
Hey Girl
4. Dj Khaled - Major Key


Okay, I have never listened to a Dj Khaled album before. Ever! but for some reason, this album seemed to be everywhere (plus Nicki Minaj was featured on it but that makes no difference :P). The album name caught my eye and so did the album cover, it's very colourful with a lion and DJ Khaled sat on a throne in the middle which I loved! As for musically, I love how he has so many different artists on one album, he has Jay-Z, Mavado, Drake, Nicki Minaj, Chris Brown, 2 Chainz, Lil Wayne and much more. He even had Meghan Trainor on one song 'forgive me father', at first I thought it was going to be rubbish as this is a rap album with lots of different rappers on and I thought she wouldn't fit in at all. In the end, she really suited that song and I felt a bit ashamed for being so judgemental before I'd even listened to it. All in all, it's a great album.

Favourite Songs:
For Free
Do You Mind
Forgive me Father

3. Beyonce - Lemonade


One of the biggest shocks of 2016 was Beyonce dropping this album. I love how she does that and I wish more artists would do this as it saves pushing back album release dates or whatever but at the same time, I hate it! I have to mentally prepare myself for an album release so I can schedule 2 or more hours to listen and digest the songs properly. You can't do that with Beyonce! She just tweets the album link and BAM! you're there listening to it.

Really good album! and I love how it's visual and tells a story, it keeps me intrigued and makes me not want to skip a single song because it's like your missing a paragraph out of the story if you do but I still have my favourites :) 

Also if you would have told me that the lemon emoji was going to be in my most used emojis a week before this came out I would've laughed and laughed and laughed!

Favourite Songs:
Sorry


2. Bruno Mars - 24K Magic


I was bopping and dabbing around my room for weeks after this album was out... oml! I didn't think Bruno could get any better than Uptown Funk! ....but man! Uptown Funks like so 2014 compared to this! Amazing! 

I also love how Bruno has made the disco fever type beats and rhythms popular again. I know they used to be popular ages ago (like way before I was born) was it the 70's ? not sure but I know it used to be popular. The worst thing about Bruno's albums is there aren't very many songs, I'm used to at least a double figure tracklist, I'd say around 14 songs is average and then sometimes you have bonus tracks too, but there are only 9 songs. Oh well, quality over quantity I guess :P

Favourite Songs:

24K Magic
Perm
Versace on the Floor


1. Ariana Grande - Dangerous Woman


My number one album for 2016 was Ariana Grande's Dangerous Woman. She is such a good singer it's unreal! I can't even comprehend that she's only 3 years older than me? and yet she has such a good voice and so much success already? Amazing and well done her! 

Dangerous Woman was beyond all her previous albums, but considering it's only her third one I'm quite impressed! It has a mixture of different songs such as a bop tune like 'Into You' or a slowed down song such as 'Dangerous Woman' but it also has some meaningful songs and if you really listen to the lyrics it can speak to you as a person if you get what I mean. One of those songs for me was 'Thinking Bout You' it brought back a lot of memories and was a really nice way to end the album.

Favourite Songs:
Into You
Side to Side
Knew Better / Forever Boy
Thinking Bout You

That's it! That's my top 5 albums for 2016! What were your favourite albums released this past year? Let me know in the comments below :)


Comments