My Top Favourite Albums of 2020

2020 has been a crazy year for every person on this planet. This time last year who'd have thought that a massive virus would take over the world, we'd all be wearing masks as well as gloves, have to have a 2-metre radius around us at all times, and have 2 (UK) national lockdowns, one of which lasted 3 months where you couldn't leave your house only for essentials? 

No one could have predicted 2020, and tbh I've loved it. I generally don't have friends or people around me so 2020 is my normal year tbh, except for the odd thing like not being able to see my mum when I wish and messing my YouTube filming schedule up. As much as this might sound selfish, I'm glad that everyone on this planet had to experience what it's like to live my life 24/7 even if it's just for one year.

One thing that I have had more time for during 2020 is listening to music. I always listen to music as a means to escape reality and this year I had a lot more time to do so. There were so many albums that I could list and talk about but I've limited myself to 10. These albums are in no particular order, here is what I have been listening too that has been released in 2020.

*The songs with a '<3' by the side is my fave off the album!*

Camila Cabello - The Hurting, The Healing, The Loving.
Camila's first album was going to be called the hurting the healing the loving but she changed it to Camila before it got released. However, during 2020 a deluxe version of this album was released with some new songs and some demo tracks of songs she released on her first two albums. I was never a fan of Fifth Harmony, I first heard of Camila from the Havana song (who didn't) I liked her voice on that song so I decided to check out her album 'Camila' and ever since then I've listened to her new stuff whenever she's released it.  This album doesn't feel like a brand new album as there are some demo songs on there but it was great to have on in the background and be taken back a few years with some of the songs on there.
Favourite Songs:
OMG
Not killin' It Today
Can't Help Falling In Love
Cleopatra <3
Be Right Here

Camila Cabello - the greatest love story, pt.1
A second entry from Miss Camila! Since The Hurting, The Healing, The Loving was pretty much a re-release she also managed to release this E.P this year. It only has 4 songs on, I don't know why this is, but because it's called part 1 I'm guessing she's going to be releasing more parts as time goes on and building a real story. I loved Taxi, I was so hooked as I was listening to that song and I felt like I was really there. I can't wait to see what the other parts are going to sound like or where the story is going to go. I couldn't find the cover art to this so I put a secondary cover to Romance instead. These little E.P's might even be a part of the Romance era.


Favourite Songs:
Taxi <3


Lady Gaga - Chromatica
Lady Gaga! I was so so happy with this album! This was the album that took me into the first lockdown pretty much and I was nervous. I didn't like Joanne and I know Gaga had been focused on a Star is Born for a while so I was nervous that it was going to be similar to those but it wasn't! I loved it from start to finish. It's a proper story album, it takes you on an emotional rollercoaster and talks about topics of low self-esteem and mental health which is very relatable not only to me but to plenty of others around the world! Chromatica also bought back the classic gaga sound! It was like The Fame and Artpop together and I absolutely loved this album so much! 
If you want to see my whole review on Chromatica check it out here:
Video Version (If you prefer to watch rather than read):


Favourite Songs:
911
Sour Candy <3
Babylon
Rain on Me

Megan thee Stallion - Good News
As much as I was hoping for a new Nicki Minaj album this year (can you believe it's been 2 years since Queen?) Nicki fell pregnant and from then I pretty much knew it was done for this year par from the odd feature. However, Megan came through with Good News! It is very very good! I don't normally listen to Megan much but she released her E.P Suga and I liked Savage especially with Beyonce. She also did a song with Nicki last year (I think) called Hot Girl Summer, so when I heard she was releasing a new album I decided to listen to it. It's a hip hop/Rap album and some of the songs have a very 90's rap feel. One thing I did notice is most of the songs are under 2 minutes, and the album is over before you even feel like it's started.
Favourite Songs:
Shots Fired
Cry Baby
Movie <3
Body
Kesha - High Road
Kesha made a return this year! I nearly forgot to include this one as it was released near the beginning of the year and I thought it was 2019 until I double-checked! This album is a mixture of rainbow and club Kesha and I loved it! It felt brand new as well as nostalgic! It's a crazy feeling when music can do that. I liked Kesha back in the day and then Rainbow was so heartfelt so I was wondering where this album would go. It does have a country feel in the middle like Rainbow and some songs I do skip but I did like the message of 'My Own Dance' as an artist, sometimes you can be expected to act or release certain things and nothing else. It's like your pigeon-holed but I love how she flipped this on its head in this song! videos a bit weird though.
Favourite Songs:
Tonight <3
High Road
Shadow
Birthday Suit


Little Mix - Confetti
I loved the visuals of this album! all the glitter and lights, I liked the aesthetic of the cover and it has a very 90's feel and the music matches that! I also want to say how talented these girls are at singing, I was listening to the album and I was in awe really of their harmonising and singing talent. 
Also, with Jesy leaving the group now I feel like this was the perfect name for the album, Confetti, because even though the other 3 girls are carrying on, it's like the perfect exit album for Jesy and feels like the end of an era. 



Favourite Songs:
Holiday
Nothing but my feelings
My love won't let you down 
Breathe <3

Kylie Minogue - Disco
Last Christmas (2019) my mum and I watched Kylie's Christmas concert and I forgot how many bangers she has. Little did we know kylie would be releasing a brand new album this following year. I didn't know she was working on new music, I thought she just performed her regular hits and that was it. Kylie has always been a feel-good singer for me, I always have a good feeling whenever I listen to her music. This album has the classic Kylie sound and feels very ... well Disco haha!! 
Favourite Songs:
Real Groove <3
Where does the DJ go?
Fine Wine
Hey Lonely

Katy Perry - Smile
2020 also saw the return of Katy Perry. Her last album Witness was very emotional and didn't' have as many hits on it as her previous albums so I was excited when she announced Smile. I was interested in where this album was going to go. She's had a big year, married to Orlando Bloom, gave birth to Daisy and released an album, so I was expecting some motherhood on there, maybe some love and anxiety tracks. However, I was very shocked when she revealed the cover art; it was her as a clown? and I was even more surprised when I listened to it as most of the songs are about being broken and upset which surprised me. I did love the track 'Daisies' that has a good message, and who'd have thought that was her daughter's name (when she released it I mean). Overall, I did like this album and I actually prefer it over Witness, but I still prefer Katy's old stuff more than anything!
Favourite Songs:
Never really over
Resilient
Daisies <3

Blackpink - The Album
I had never heard of Blackpink before Lady Gaga's album (see previous) I loved that song and had it on replay for months. They then released a song with Selena Gomez that I also liked. Google then advertised their album to me, it only had 8 tracks so I decided to listen to it! Even though some of the lines are Korean (it's not all Korean, some of it is English but still) I loved it! I've never been a K-Pop person, never really been into it very much but this I liked. I like their sound, it's very club and I just loved it! If Blackpink releases another album, I'll definitely listen to it!
Favourite Songs:
How you like that
Pretty Savage <3
Crazy over you

Ariana Grande - Positions
Closing up this list is Miss Grande! I was quite shocked when she announced she was releasing a new album this year, I didn't think she'd be releasing until next year. However, at the end of 2020, she announced a new album, Positions. I like this album, I prefer 'thank u, next' but this album is very good when compared to Sweetener. the songs have a very similar sound but I like that because they all link together very well. Also, I absolutely love the artwork for this album! very old school but it suits Ariana so well. Also, I watched 'excuse me, I love you' over Christmas and if you haven't seen it yet I'd highly recommend, it's free to watch on Netflix and it's basically a whole Ariana concert with some behind the scenes snaps as well! she's such a good singer! 
Favourite Songs:
positions <3
34+35
just like magic

That's all. Like I said before I limited myself to 10 else we'd be here ages. I usually only have 4-6 albums included in these posts but this year was either a really good year for music or I had a lot more time on my hands to spend listening to music. Although some albums I was expecting this year didn't happen, it's still been a great year for music! Music can be a source of escapism and that's what makes it so magical at times. It really can put you in a totally different world. 

Here's to 2021! Hopefully, we'll all be dancing to a whole new rhythm!

Thank you for reading :) Stay Safe :)


Comments